View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #121
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Tolkien might not have thought about the implication it had for the story of Ost-in-Edhil if he involved the Belegost Dwarves, but he clearly had no reasons springing from the story of the Nauglamír to reject them. And, for me at least, their inclusion also means that this did not creat a glaring problem in any other story, otherwise Tolkien would probabaly have realised it.
It's that last part that I don't fully agree with. Tolkien may very well have written CtH with the intention that the Dwarves of Belegost took part in the Ruin of Doriath without it occurring to him that this created a problem for the story of Ost-in-Edhil.

However, Arvegil has at least convinced me of the first bit - that CtH in itself does imply that the attack on Menegroth was made by the Dwarves of both kingdoms.

I think a case could still be made for retaining the version in "Concerning Celeborn and Galadriel". But as it seems that others are inclined to reintroduce Belegost into the attack, I won't stand in the way of that. The matter of how to do this in the text is significantly trickier, and I will need to mull over Findegil's ideas above.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote