View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #142
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think it comes down to this: do you WANT the Arkenstone to be the Silmaril? Because, if you want something hard enough - or on the contrary, if you don't want something hard enough, you'll find arguments and counterarguments on both sides, and declare that the legitimate canonicity and interpretation is the one that supports your cause.

I don't want the Arkenstone to be the Silmaril, though I recognize that it was meta-inspired by the Silmaril the way Hui describes (ie in the same way the Elvenking is Thingol). I want the Silmarils to have an epic and symbolic end. I want them to be unique, untouchable, unrepeatable. I want their light to be something special - they are not just gems that glow, they glow with a light that is more than the world of the Sun and Moon. Furthermore, I want the Elves and the Dwarves to have their own unique jewels, not everything must be about the same old Silmarils.

So, all in all, my main argument against the Arkenstone being the Silmaril is that, in my eyes, such a thing would ruin both stories rather than make them more interesting. Cogito, ergo they are not.