Thread: Isildur
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Isildur is weak, and that's what makes him interesting.

(Oh yes, I'm doubling down.)
And that's alright, because perhaps the best thing (imo) about these stories is you can come to different conclusions about Isildur, or Frodo, or Denethor, and many other characters yet both conclusions would be true.

Quote:
But then you go back to the Silmarillion, and you learn about his rescue of the fruit of the White Tree, and his grievous injury. You see that he was a very strong character, a brave leader of men and commander of ships. You come to see his failure as a tragedy, a strong hero broken by what must be nigh-unbeatable power.
I rather think there is a comparison to be made between Boromir's story and Isildur's. There are some similarities, and some differences.

I would argue that The Council of Elrond Boromir is a very weak character. He is propped up as a renowned general and hero of Gondor during his time. Named after another warrior, the Ruling Steward Boromir. He is believed to be the stronger brother, but in "the test" Tolkien says that Farmir proved to be the stronger brother:

Quote:
It did not seem possible to Faramir that anyone in Gondor could rival Boromir, heir of Denethor, Captain of the White Tower, and of like mind was Boromir. Yet it proved otherwise at the test.~Appendix A: Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion
The Council of Elrond up to the Breaking of the Fellowship Boromir seems, frankly put, undeserving and a weak character. Sure he provides some much needed muscle to get the Fellowship through Caradhras, but he never sets eyes on the Ring, yet is still corrupted by it. Isildur took the Ring from Sauron's hand, and was a Ring-bearer.

Yet, in the end Boromir becomes a stronger character. Boromir's story ends "heroically." He admits to Aragorn he attempted to take the ring, takes personal responsibility ("I am sorry. I have paid."), and dies obeying a command from his "King;" to find the hobbits and protect them.

Quote:
"Poor Boromir! I could not see what happened to him. It was a sore trial for such a man: a warrior, and lord of men. Galadriel told me he was in peril. But he escaped in the end. I am glad. It was not in vain that the young hobbits came with us, if only for Boromir's sake."~The White Rider
I'm not convinced that I should factor in The Lost Road's "Herendil." I agree that this is certainly a proto-Isildur, but Tolkien tinkered with his characters and their stories frequently. The Treason of Isengard, Boromir is a traitor and rival to Aragorn in war. This Boromir peaks his head through in Faramir's comment that he's not surprised Boromir would treat Aragorn with honor, "yet they had not become rivals in war." The Lord of the Rings Boromir does not become Aragorn's rival. Having said that, I wouldn't go as far to say it's wrong for you to factor in the character Herendil as a proto-Isildur.

Back to Boromir for a moment...he accepts personal responsibility for his weakness, seeing the fate Faramir sees (if Faramir were to claim the Ring, but Faramir rejects that power). Boromir sees it too, not in time to save his life, but in time to save his honor and "escape in the end."

Isildur never sees this fate, and that is perhaps where I agree he is weak. He begins a strong and renowned hero for his deed in Numenor, but by succumbing to the Ring he dies in a dishonorable way, cowardly attempting to flee an ambush. Unfortunately for his sake, there are no young hobbits around to defend, and his "renowned deed" happened long ago.