Thread: Isildur
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The Ring had just left Sauron's hand; its power was at its zenith for that reason, and also because it was actually in Mordor.
Humble Frodo the Hobbit couldn't do it when he had the chance.

And it we're laying blame on Isildur for not destroying the One, why not look at the keepers of the Three? They knew the peril of keeping (not to mention using) their rings, yet took no steps to do away when Vilya, Nenya, and Narya.
That's always been my impressions of Isildur, as well, that is he is meant to play the part of a heroic figure, and making his "Fall" in claiming the Ring that much more meaningful.

What I mean is, you take a look at the snippet of him sneaking into Armenelos and saving the fruit of Nimloth, it shows to me Isildur is actually a strong (in terms of his will) character. He's listening to his grandfather tell the story of the White Tree to his father and brothers. Isildur decided on his own to sneak in and save it, he's not told to do this task by anyone else. Its his own will that makes this decision, and his success is said to win him "renown."

Fast forward to him claiming the Ring. I don't think proves Isildur was a weak character, quite the opposite. His "Fall" in succumbing to Sauron's weapon, actually has more impact on the story in Lord of the Rings. He is renowned for a heroic deed in Numenor, and even Isildur was corrupted by the power of Sauron. It only proves why Boromir's and Denethor's positions to want to use the Ring are complete folly. Isildur's bane isn't an orc arrow, it is the Ring, that even brought down the renowned hero who saved the White Tree!