View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 AM   #220
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ruby and Buttercup marched out from the kitchen, bearing trenchers laden with bread and cheese, two bowls of stew thick with taters, fat carrots, and chicken, and two mugs - one of cider, one of hot spiced wine. They set it before Alwin and Jack, beaming as the two hungry travelers set to with a will. Ruby hurried back to the kitchen for two generous helpings of apple tart, and set them on the raised hearth, near enough the fire to keep them warm.

‘I’ll bring you a pot of hot tea when you’re ready for it,’ she said nodding toward the two bowls of dessert. 'And a pitcher of clotted cream to pour over the tart.' She glanced at the old fellow’s pack in the corner, noting the odd bulges in its contour. Not one to be shy about asking questions, she pointed toward the pack as she topped off Alwin’s mug. ‘I’m thinking there’s still a harp stuck in there, Master Alwin. And if memory serves me, you still owe a song or at least a story from your last stay with us.’

She leaned in a little closer, lowering her voice. ‘I met Kiera, you know . . . well, not really met her . . . she brought us some healing herbs she gathered to replenish our supplies, during that awful fire. That and she tended the kitchen garden a bit while we were busy with the injured. Shy little thing, she was. Scarce taller than me! Had a way with the plants, that one. They never grew so lush before – and that despite the ash and smoke. We never spoke, and I half wondered if she were mute. But we nodded and smiled as we went about our business.’ Ruby broke off speaking, remembering the dark haired, olive skinned woman with the kind brown eyes. ‘Still waters run deep, or so my gran used to say. I always wanted to say how much we appreciated her help – but she was gone before we could do so.’ Ruby drummed her fingers on the table, as Alwin chewed on a thick slice of bread and spooned up his stew.

‘Maybe you could tell us a little story about her and her people?’ she urged him, picking up a slice of cheese to nibble on. ‘I never quite figured out where she hailed from.’

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-31-2004 at 01:24 AM.