View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 12:20 AM   #122
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
In case some of you people are wondering at the change of Ferethor's attitude, I'll take the chance to explain some of Ferethor's moods.

Ferethor is basically good in the full sense of the word, in the inner part of his mind. He tries to escape from his soft temperament, for he had grown up as an orphan in the harsh life of the streets and knows that being good is perilous. Ferethor started forging, unintentionally, an armor of his mind. Harsh, commanding, distrustful, elusive, ever defiant to friend and foes alike. He perfected it to such a degree that he almost believes that it is his real nature. Ferethor feels afraid to be out of the armor, and even his closest friends can only catch a glimpse of his gentle nature every now and then.

Did you notice that Ferethor's eyes were grey as a winter sea? It is an unusual choice of color for eyes. Tolkien always associated grey with tears and mourning.

"Grey now as tears, gleaming silver" -LOTR

Ferethor's eyes were described hard and fell, like frozen ice. Yet I put in a sentence in the part of Ferethor's friendship with Atharen that I have already written and will put up here soon relating to the matter - 'Ferethor's eyes were softened by sincerity, as ice might melt with a gentle breeze.' This shows that his
good nature is on the top, for the instant.

PS. I don't know why am I writing this.