View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #411
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I am really very impressed by this. I was slightly terrified that I'd listen and find out we disagreed on how to read Quenya, but nope - your pronunciation is exactly what I was imagining, and extremely impressive! Given the nightmare words like 'collolairelya' and all those -ngw-s towards the end, I'm amazed you didn't tie your tongue in knots!
I am glad that I did not screw it up. But if I did, just let me know before I re-record. I was going one stanza at a time, and practiced saying it before I sung it. The final chorus (look my dear brother) was by far the hardest, it took me several takes to not majorly mess up - and I think I still screwed up at the very end by turning entuluva into entulava (of all words there, to mess up the one I actually know ). I think, if you were just to give me the Quenya text and tell me to read, I'd say it differently when it comes to stress - I feel that for the two-syllable words (queta, hano, etc), I always wanna put the emphasis on the first syllable. But it helps to know the melody and read accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I think you're right on melamar (I didn't spot that!); Tolkien did create some lovely words. 'Empty heart' - there was absolutely no way to translate 'in bitterness of loss', the words simply don't exist. So I figured echoing the previous lines would work out. ^_^
I love it! It's absolutely perfect. ^.^

Out of curiosity - how much of this are you getting from your own head, as opposed to a very thorough trawl through the Elvish dictionaries? I am still amazed at how you just take the lyrics and go translating into the Tolkien languages like no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
My favourite coinage in here is 'rolaure' in the very last line; it literally means east-gold (ro-laure), and actually ends with 'aure', leading perfectly into that final entuluva.

Oh! And one I'd forgotten I did: when Fírië verya Melca, 'Death marries Might', that 'Melca' is actually 'Melka' - the root of 'Melkor'.
Oh, nice one on rolaure! I did not see that, I thought the root was still "aure". And I did notice Melka, I figured that one out. I actually wonder, are there different words in Elvish for death when it comes to Elves as opposed to mortals, since the Elves know them to be metaphysically different entities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I will be making A Thing, because I know exactly how I want to animate it. But it'll certainly take a while to sort out, so no rush. And, splicing in new vocals is probably the simplest change to make, so I'm happy to do that whenever you decide to record them. New music is either very simple (if it doesn't change the timing) or very variable (if it does).
Yay! A Thing! New vocals will be coming... dunno, but at some point. And new music will probably be at the very end, and will have the exact same timing. My hands are just itching to fix the things I was too inexperienced to do better for pieces like Lament and Duel. And the whole Doriath Duet needs a makeover - I mean, when I wrote that, it was still supposed to be realistically playable with the two instruments I sort of know how to play, and as a result sticks out as very plain and simple, especially coming after a complex piece like Meeting. But all within the frame of the same number of bars and the same speed, more about what to do in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Part of my thought process is that 'except for WW' - because Werewolf is sharing the Mirth forum with us! I think 'Finrod: The Rock Opera' is a nice informative title, and covers all the versions, but I'm certainly not opposed to having a nice bit of Zonging in the title too. ^_^
Sounds good! I'm not sure how often the Admins actually visit the site, but as soon as one of them checks their PM box we'll have an answer. I don't believe I have any non-Downs contact with any of them to reach them sooner. Though if you have FB, it might be possible to find someone through the BD facebook group. But it's no rush, we'll get an answer when we get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
On my side, I've managed to put the Quarrel video together:

08 - Quarrel
Yeeeessss! My absolute favourite thing is all the chuckles and snorts and other noises. Also, "the shove", perfection. Oh, and the "Ooo, your ears are smoking" - caught me by surprise and made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
(I really need to finish off the Prologue pictures, too... and I was going to try and make a prettier logo... lots to do!)
There's no rush. I'm going through a burst of creativity right now, but I also know that it's gonna have to slow down again in a couple weeks, so I'm just trying to catch up to my imaginary schedule while I can. There's absolutely no rush to get everything done at once, we probably have another 9 months ahead to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
It will almost certainly go through constant tweaking (I already want to remove the black lines entirely and see how that works), but as a general concept, what do you think?

(Font is Aniron, which is free for personal use, and handily has Cyrillic support.)
I like it! Certainly I like the concept, and I like what it looks like now too, but not to temper your experiments with it. And I heartily approve of the font. Speaking of fonts, I think it's a really nice touch to give a nod to the original language. Do you think we'll need tengwar in there too? The font already looks kinda Elvish, it resembles tengwar characters as it is...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote