View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A subtle distinction

I fear to make a rather short and unsubstantial post after so many thoughtful and perceptive posts. I particularly like Mark12_30's point about the importance of water and the observation that only Frodo and Sam are injured in Moria (aside from Gandalf, of course).

Esty, Sam is also able to make jokes at his own expense:

Quote:
"Once I do get to sleep," said Sam, "I shall go on sleeping, whether I roll off or not. And the less said, the sooner I'll drop off, if you take my meaning."

Quote:
Saucepan Man wrote:
What is interesting to me here is that is precisely what the Fellowship are doing. They are bringing an object of great evil into the perilous realm. Shouldn't they therefore fear the place?
An interesting question, but one I think that can be answered by considering the nature of bringing evil. For now at least, the Fellowship is in control over that evil rather than being controlled by it. They themselves are not tarnished by the object. Thus, they themselves would have nothing to fear from the realm which opposes the Enemy who is the source of that evil. That is, the Fellowship and the Perilous Realm are in league together against that evil.

The point which struck me forcibly on rereading this chapter is the relative absence of Boromir. I think it is quite right to say the chapter focusses upon Gimli and Legolas as part of the developing them of rapproachment between their races. However, I am getting very much the sense that Tolkien has marked Boromir from the start, so to speak, for failure; he is in fact a foil who helps us see better Aragorn's honour. Boromir is rather a vain , perhaps even petulant and limited man.

As others of you have discussed very ably previously, in the Council of Elrond, Boromir appears proud, even conceited. I have the sense that, even though he is noble and bold, his attitude is presumptuous and hollow even. He lacks self-knowledge. He has had his role as heir to the Stewardship of Gondor given to him; he has not had to struggle to learn about that role, as Aragorn has had to struggle to learn how to perfect himself for Kingship.

In Moria, while Boromir fights valiantly, none of his actions provide substantial defense. He jimmies shut doors which ultimately are forced open. He is thrust down by an orc. It is Aragorn, with Andúril, who splits an orc's head, not Boromir. His horn only temporarily puts fear into the hearts of the orcs. Now, in Lothlorien, Boromir's only role is to be, well, perhaps querulous is unfair. Maybe call it obstreperous. He seems to be placed in the position of always arguing the limited point of view where Aragorn is given the broader perspective. His knowledge is shown to be limited.

It is possible I am reading too much into the contrast between Aragorn and Boromir, but I cannot help but think that Tolkien cleverly has each man act out very different qualities in the heroic ideal, even from the beginning. One is the hollow pretender who lacks substance while the other is tested and being found true. It is a very subtle depiction which contrasts the male boaster with the man of true worth. Vainglory versus true glory.