View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #37
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
The other thought I had on the subject, is whether Tolkien would want to incorporate the idea of Joy into this unity? His idea of Eucatastrophe brings Joy-Beauty-Truth together almost seamlessly, I think that Good is hovering in there beneath the surface as well. What would this shift in unity say about his larger view of the world I wonder? How would it work into LOTR and perhaps more interestingly, Silm? - Sophia
Was there a eucatastrophe in The Sil? The only one that comes to mind is Beren and Luthien getting the Sil back from Morgoth. Otherwise, the Sil seems to be a reflection of the pessimism for which Tolkien was known by his close friends.

He did say that Fairy Story is more real than much of modern literature because it accounts for real evil, as well as the evangelium, in which is joy, according to the professor.

I've just realized all over again that my first exposure to the importance of naming came from the Bible. Adam and Eve resonate with meaning. So does Abram/Abraham. Moses. Joshua/Jesus. Every name has a meaning, and the people who names, recognized the importance of names. This would be an example that the Bible is home to mythic unity. It's obvious that Tolkien drew from this rich source of mythic unity as well as the Nordic, in the Sil.

I'm a little unclear what you mean by "shift in unity", actually....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote