View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #69
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jythralo sighed as he lay the last of the documents down on his desk. Everything was going according to plan. Bassington was his prisoner, he had Adeline safely stowed away, and Devon, Callath, and Calnan were rushing to find a ship to do battle on the high seas.

"What to do with Bassington's family?" he wondered aloud. He planned on taking Bassington along but what about the rest of the family. The children...he should just leave them here under strict guard. Yes, the women and children would stay, while Bassington came along. He had himself another prisoner, just in case, by some miracle, he were to lose.

There was a knock at the door.

"Enter,"he said.

A weather-beaten man entered, in a diverse assortment of clothes and a black cloak. He carried a scimitar at his side. The man smiled.

"Doran."

"Captain Kamir. I assume your men had landed?"

"Yes, sir. I have four ships in the harbor, and all 1,000 corsair soldiers have disembarked and are entering the city. My men and I thought this was only a dream, but it seems that dreams do come true."

"Your men can have the barracks...after the city guards have been killed. I think your men deserve some action after their long trip."

"Aye, that they do, Doran." Kamir's grin grew even bigger.

"Here are your orders for the defense of the city should Gondor arrive. Only destroy military targets and those that take arms against us. Spare the hospitals and innocent people. Don't do anything that will inspire a rebellion against the new corsair government. And after you've taken control, make sure you make it well known that I was behind this. With that knowledge spreading throughout the city, the corsairs that have doubted me will rally to our cause and bolster your forces."

"And where will you be?" Kamir said.

"Acacia, Jurex, and I will be heading out to sea to finish some business with my main opponent. After that, we'll return and help with the city."

Kamir nodded and left. The sounds of battle from the city were already ringing in the night air. Jurex made ready to leave when there was another knock at his door, this one softer than usual.

"Enter."

It was Hessa. She seemed timid and afraid.

"Yes?" Doran asked.

"Captain Doran, sir, I was just wondering..." Hessa began but Doran interrupted.

"If its about your mother, you can rest assured Miss Hessa. I've taken the liberty of having your mother placed in one of the nicest hospitals in the city. Her stay is fully paid for, and when you return home after our little adventure, you should find that there are a few chests of gold waiting for you. I reward those loyal to me well." Doran smiled. "Don't worry. Your mother is in good hands. In fact," he drew a letter from a drawer in his desk. "I have a letter for you that I was going to give you." He handed it to her. "You will find that your mother is doing very well and is expected to fully recover."

Hessa took the letter gently. Doran could see tears glisten in the corners of her eyes.

"Thank you," was all Hessa could get out.

"Come young lady. Let us take to sea. Have you ever raided any coastal towns?" he asked as he ushered her out of the room.

"Raided...towns?" she asked. That scared look came back into her eyes.

"I'm just teasing. You won't be raiding any towns. But Jurex, Acacia, and I need to make some stops while we wait for our enemies." Doran smiled as he thought about the fun he would be having tomorrow while raiding towns and other ships he came across.

In the main lobby, Acacia and Jurex sat waiting.

Doran stopped suddenly. "Do you hear that?"

Acacia and Jurex jumped to their feet and drew their swords.
"What?" they both asked.

Doran smiled. "The sea is calling."