View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #150
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, actually, Tolkien's World is not out of print, and I have a copy of it also. The book I was thinking of was "J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator" which has tons of different paintings, drawings, etc. by Tolkien himself. Its quite amazing (also not out of print). You could get some interesting analysis out of the Lost Road, if it's that symbolic, very interesting indeed!

I'm actually in the middle of "The Problem of Pain" right now, so I can't quite give you a synopsis of it... I do know, however, that its dedicated to the Inklings (I smiled at that), and that he wrote it after and because of his wife's death. Very depressing. He explains in the book how pain has arisen in humanity as a biproduct of the Fall and Christ's sacrifice. At the beginning of the intro, I felt like weeping for the man. He says that he was going to publish it anonymously because of the things he says in it. So far, its very good and explains more basic theology to the reader. As I've said before, Jack's my favorite. I love the way he writes.

Iarwain