View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Your bloke has combat experience in the actual war; that seems dangerously close to knowing the truth! Maybe you could do a "man of few words quietly amused at the absurd exaggerations" dynamic...
Well, it depends which part of the war you're interested in. I daresay he's the sort who wouldn't criticize the director/playwright's decisions--though he might take liberties in improving set-pieces and such--but in any case, the destruction of the Ring happened 25 March, and he would have been convalescing in Minas Tirith, rather than actually present at the Black Gate. Besides, even if he'd been at the Black Gate, who knows what those Halflings were doing exactly that brought down the Dark Lord:

"All I know is that that wizard Gandalf showed up on fire-breathing Eagles and forced a dragon to its death in the fires of Mt. Doom--no, I know it wasn't the Witchking, because he was killed by the Lady Éowyn, her that married our Prince Faramir, at the Pelennor, and I saw the carcass of his fell beast with my own two eyes, not more than a yard from where the King of Rohan fell. Of course, my leg was broken by then, and I'd lost a lot of blood, but Beren, who was my father's sister's son, carried me off the battlefield, and he saw it too. Where Gandalf was then, I don't know, nor his eagles either, but it would have saved us a lot of trouble if he'd have just flown into Mordor 1000 years ago and finished the dragon... but they say he wasn't a white wizard then. Maybe he couldn't wear white till the Lady Éowyn killed the Witchking. I don't know.

"Or maybe it was the halfings that he found in Mordor that made the difference. To be honest, I never did get the story straight, though I met the perian Mediadoc briefly while we both convalescing, waiting for news of the army that marched to the Black Gates--marched to certain doom, we thought. Polite enough, though strangely familiar with all those he met. But that's the way of the periannath, they say. Prince Peregrin was the same, or so my cousin Beren said..."