View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Mith,

Great topic. Actually, I doubt that it was as much of a joke as might seem. Serious scholars have long delved into Song of Songs and, beneath the outlandish metaphors and similes, found in it a wealth of good advice for a healthy marriage-- which Tom and Goldberry seem to have.

The metaphors and similes which abound in Song of Songs are culturally very strange, but that doesn't make them necessarily facetious in intent. "Your teeth are like a flock of sheep" always amused me; but "coming up from the washing" means that her teeth are nice and white, and "Each one has its twin" means that she's not missing any. All in all, a pleasant compliment (assuming you like sheep.)

I could go on and on, but-- I don't get the impression from Tolkien's letters that he would have found Song of Songs primarily amusing. I think he would have been aware of the generosity of the compliments, and their original intent culturally, and woven that into his idea of a happy marriage.

If you haven't already seen it check out Love in the Trees by Michael Martinez.

And I can't resist one last parting dig as I likewise bolt out the door very very late for work:

"Ooo, you GUTSY man you-- the bible and Tolkien???" [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

--mark12_30

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:09 AM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]