View Single Post
Old 07-23-2000, 08:41 PM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: tolkien 's &quot;myths transformed&quot;

but as mithadan outlined nicely that leaves quite a thorny situation to work through in terms of a viable New Silmarillion-actually prob. the most difficult .bur\t the outlines read as some of the more compressed sections of the SIlm . Alot of it is that we have gotten quite used to The Silm and to radically rework a fundamental cosmological tale as the narsilion is daunted both CrrT and his father- so the only solutons I can see from here are to:
1] Leave the cosmology as is and only expand upon the stories W/ materials written that are largely if not entirely free of any conradictions.
[easiest ?]
2] use JRRT,s outlines for the tale and flesh them out as much as the remaining material allows -doing an absolute minimum [if any ] of putting in sentences that are not there.-such as Crrt had to do w/ the final phases of the hurin/doriath cycle.
2b] pass off the scetchyness of the tale as incomplete &quot;translations from the elvish&quot; {resorting to a fiction JRRT never intended - but he never intended to leave the Silm&gt; such a mess and his son {who I recently read was specifically asked to wrap it all up did a job which he now considers seriously flawed .because it leaves us w/ these very tangles.
3] leave it all alone -the least interesting of the 'solutions' which does NOT fulfill JRRT's hopes and wishes for the heart of his legendarium.
------------
I am somewhat new to the HoME series except for lost tales 1&amp;2 and the bits I would read at bookstores as they came out - But I am pretty well versed in the Silm/UT and so it is from the view of these 4 books that the idea of a fuller version of a non-conflicting Silmarillion as bounced in the back of my head for the last 10 years or so [ever since UT really]
It was only when I started to read Morgoth's ring and {11 &amp;12} that I realized what a stickey wicket it is.
For CRRT I get the impression that he would do the whole Unfinished/History/SIlm. business different - but not how he would - as to why he hasn't - he is prob. pretty old and just as his father did at retirement lacks the urge/drive/need or whatever to go at it for a 3rd{!} time-can't blame him a bit and as many have expressed we are all grateful for the immense labor of putting [nearly ] all of it out here as has never been done [to ] my mind for any author before [and prob. won't again!]- But gratitude aside we are still lft w/the
dilemna of pt. 3
----------------
I suppose I myself have 2 answers to this .

1]left to my own devices I will prob. just make notes in tne UT/HoME books as to where various stories and details can be inserted during a private [or publec] reading of the silm.
and leave the narsillion business out of it {as CRRT did}
2] if other folks were as concerned and wanted to labor away over the years a council could -I hope - hash out a group consensus{ but at this point getting enough people who have the needed books seems no small thing ! ; }
so to follow TolkiensiIdea to transform the Myth's- or not this is the[ a] question.

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.