View Single Post
Old 02-24-2001, 03:49 PM   #11
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Re: Interludium: Of Dwarves

Whoopsie! Double post. But since I've had another thought regarding means of excavating Moria other than pick and shovel (which discussion is in the next post) let me put this thought here.

There is thought that the egyptians would carve a block from a quarry by chisling a slot and then pounding wedges until the stone split along the created fault. I think that similar methods are still used.

Similar methodology might be employed by the dwarves. I'm thinking diamond cutting precision, rather than brute labour (which discussion is in the next post).

I like to employ math on the brute labour type of solution because if that proves possible, any improvement makes the event more likely. If the dwarves were splitting stone and hauling off blocks for use elsewhere, this makes more sense and reduces labour considerably. But as my next post demonstrates, even if they went at it like the slaves of the orcs, wasting time, resources, and energy, the dwarves still could mine away and excavate all of Moria over the centuries.

~~~http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000My Bare Bones Webpage</a>~~~

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 05-23-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Gilthalion is offline   Reply With Quote