View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Peter Weir's name was frequently brought up in speculative lists even in the original director search. Based on his resume, I never quite got why he was so often suggested. I have a sneaking feeling that it's based mainly on the fact that he was one of the first to employ Billy Boyd after LotR.

I think Weir is an interesting director, but I would judge the odds of him getting involved with The Hobbit as extremely slim. He does films for grown-ups, complete with smoldering sexuality, ambiguity, and restrained understatement -- all qualities which aren't really in the Peter Jackson playbook. Besides, I've never seen that sense of humor and whimsy from him that I think a director really needs to have to do credit to Tolkien's novel. Also, Weir's more of an artist than a gun-for-hire (Green Card notwithstanding). He'd definitely be the type of guy who would want to make the project his own if he were to come on to it.
I am one of the Peter Weir advocates but nothing to do with Billy Boyd, I just love his films but to be honest I think I really would have wanted him to do the Rings or something form the Silmarilllion - I can really see him handling Tuor, Idril and Maeglin in Gondolin brilliantly. He really understands the tension of enclosed societies and I can only dream of the more sophisticated LOTR he might have produced. This is the man whose director's cut of Picnic at Hanging Rock is shorter than the released version! Ah well ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote