View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
monks
Animated Skeleton

monks is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Tolkien's System and Secret Grammar. Prediction #1.

Tolkien's System and Secret Grammar. Prediction #1.

Hi, I'll be posting my predictions on here over the coming months. Tolkien has a system and he is predictable. You can ask me any questions at any time about any of them and I'll be happy to explain how I arrived at them. Fight me

-------
Tolkien Prediction #1. From my offered solution to the Bombadil-Goldberry riddle I had a little moment where the penny dropped and I thought "Ahhhhh...I bet the hobbits met him [Tom Bombadil] on the 26th of a month...". I looked it up and yes, they met him on the 26th Sept. I've found Tolkien uses numerology a lot.

Solution:
Tom = Space, Tolkien, the number 2.
Goldberry = Time, Edith, the number 6.
-------

Tolkien has a system. It is predictable. The 'little man' in 'A Secret Vice' is Tolkien. The 'Great Master' with his 'personal system and symphony' is Tolkien. It is Tolkien's 'secret grammar'. The Music (of the Ainur) is Tolkien's 'symphony'.

Here's some background from my homepage- how I was able to make that prediction, and to date, 98 others.

-------

To date I have made 99 predictions based on my understanding. Many predictions will be that a specific word will appear in the text at a specific place, or I have predicted the meanings of etymologies of either English words or Elvish words. Some of the predictions involve numbers.

Around 2005 I had concluded that Bombadil and Goldberry were Space and Time. In 2015 I found a source which I believe was influential in shaping the personality of Bombadil, and the relationship of Bombadil and Goldberry. It was from that I deduced that Bombadil and Goldberry were represented by the numbers 2 and 6, from the half-crown coin in pre-decimal English money- which was known as “2 and 6 pence”. I had already encountered the double-crown of Upper and Lower Egypt in his letters, and had also conceived Bombadil and Goldberry to be two halves of one whole: Space and Time. The notion of a ‘half a crown’ in the other sense didn’t seem a huge leap from that. I then had a hunch. I already knew that Tolkien was using numbers in his works from other sources; the Rhyme of Lore being one of them of course, but especially the numbers 6 and 9. I predicted that the hobbits met Bombadil on the 26th of a month. I looked it up. I was correct. They met him on the 26th Sept. That was the first of many examples of Tolkien’s integration of numbers beyond the Rings.

But I still didn’t know who of the pair was 2 or who was 6. After more work I’d concluded that Goldberry was the number 6. Around that time I had also concluded that they were Moon-Silver and Sun-Gold. Indeed that Bombadil and Goldberry were Tolkien and Edith. Something I’d pretty much thought since 2005. I then came across Tolkien’s Anglo-Saxon poem ‘Syx Mynet’ in Songs for the Philologists. Even though I didn’t have a translation of this poem I had a strong hunch that the 6 was a reference to Goldberry and that the word ‘mynet’ was possibly a pun on ‘minute’, Goldberry being Time. I predicted that the poem would either make a reference to ‘a wife’ or a wife would be the subject of the poem. Having then discovered that the poem was simply Tolkien’s translation into A.S from an existing poem, I looked it up. It was a poem called ‘I Love Sixpence’. I’d never even heard of it. As you can imagine, I was very hopeful because, from the title, it was again dealing with money and clearly it was about the number 6, and Tolkien loved his wife. I was correct. The poem was about a man taking money home to his wife. Perfect.

In Sep. 2018 I accidentally came across the description of the Chain of Angainor. By that time I was beginning to understand Tolkien’s number symbolism and how important it was. I found that the 2nd and 6th links of the Chain are silver and gold. And as I have said I’d already concluded that Bombadil and Goldberry were Moon-Silver and Sun-Gold. Again 2 and 6, agreeing with everything else.

I later noted that the Shire where Bombadil and Goldberry live is comprised of the Four Farthings. Farthings also being pre-decimal English money. I also later found out that when Tolkien met Edith he was 16 and she was 19, hence 6 and 9.

The above sequence of events did not chance out of thin air. I chanced upon the material and made connections while doing other Tolkien research. For more information you can read the Predictions over here http://www.thewindrose.net/.

-------

Last edited by monks; 07-19-2020 at 08:01 AM.
monks is offline   Reply With Quote