View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #39
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
The best part was seeing all the serious opera and theatre types in there, the sort of people who would never dream of tuning into Springer!
That is a bit of a generalisation ..... it is possible to love opera and theatre and "trashy tv". And I am speaking as someone who goes to "new" opera AND loved El Dorado...... I am just sorry I fell asleep for the second half of JSTO when the had it on TV.

The more I think about it, the more I think it might just work although I think it will be the reverse of the film which was essentially an action pic. In musical the action will be probably quite stylised - but that is one of the conventions of the form. I can think of many key moments in LOTR which will respond well to Operatic/musical (and I think there is often a fine line between the two) - Intoduction of Aragorn, The Council of Elrond as a wonderful big set piece and so on ... I wonder if they will follow teh operatic convention of using countertenors for "other worldly characters" eg elves, cf Midsummer nights Dream, Death in Venice, Flight....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-13-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote