View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 04:45 PM   #149
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

The town had been a welcome relief for Rangar. And, as Wren pointed out, so had the fact they'd obtained food made for things other than soup. At noon the sun left the cover of the clouds and warmed the road, causing a large dust pall to hover behind them, then be swept away by the light wind blowing from the east. The day just kept getting better. Rangar was riding by Turthol, but consciously making sure he was within hearing distance of Calmir and Enien, who were finishing the story of Turin for Bregand because he wanted to learn 'the discrepancies between the elvish and manish versions,' or something like that. Rangar's contentment was only interrupted when Turthol prodded him on the shoulder and said, "You hear something?" "No, just Enien and Bregand, why?" Answered Rangar, looking confusedly at his friend.

"Nothing." Said Turthol in an nonchalant manner, though he frowned and looked behind him at the large dust cloud the company stirred up. "Must be my rusty Sindarin." But Rangar had noticed that Enien and Bregand had stopped talking in elvish, and she and Calmir were now looking in the same direction as Turthol, with Bregand wearing a look similar to his own. "Think it's," Rangar began, reluctant to drop his mood several notches by asking. "Nah," Interrupted Turthol, casting another glance behind him. "But I'll double back and make sure. He doesn't know what I look like anyway." He finished, trying to sound casual. "Alright." Turthol turned his horse and began riding back into the dust. "Where's Turthol going?" Aerin asked as soon as both horse and rider had disappeared. "He heard a noise. He's going to check it out." Rangar answered offhandedly, still looking behind him.

After twenty minutes of tossing backward gazes and periodically slowing down and then speeding up, the hammer of horse hoofs reached Rangar's ears. He smiled, but was immediately shocked when Turthol reappeared. For the brief moment when his face was visible it was deathly white, and his eyes were wide. "What the," "No questions, just ride." Turthol shouted instantly as he outpaced the company and kept up his gallop. Rangar, and it seemed like the rest of the group followed suit, spurred his horse to catch up. As he came alongside Turthol he shouted, " What going on?" Turthol gulped, and was about to say something when another sound reached Rangar's bewildered ears: The thunder of many feet, and shrill shouts from a distance. "Rangar," Rave said slowly. He looked behind him and his jaw dropped.

It looked like the entire village in which they'd just stayed was running behind them, brandishing spears and pitchforks. What in the name of "Get 'em" Roared, to his horror, a very massive man on horseback; The only one he hoped. Without bidding, Rangar yelled, "Run!" and dug his heels into the side of his horse. For what seemed like an eternity, although it probably was more the like of ten minutes, they rode feaverishly, trying to outpace the mob hot on their feet. But then, the company came to a pitfall in the road; And as Rangar's horse swerved to avoid it, the creature nearly collided with Tareth's steed and reared wildly. Before he could find his balance, Rangar hit the ground with a great THUD.