View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I don't think so, as I read that "marriage" as simply a signifier for what you are explaining here. That engagement with what Tolkien calls the Drama and you call "guiding creation" is more central to the Legendarium than the enoblement of the weak and little, who are important not for themselves but for their ability to play a role in that grand design.
I still disagree that a marriage (or the three of them, for that matter), hold more importance. At the legendarium-level, they have, at most, a primarily historical importance. Belonging to a (fading) bloodline does not necessarily give one a higher, more positive status. We have the fallen numenoreans, with their pure blood-kings leading them towards destruction. Cf The New Shadow, even Aragorn's descendants are "just kings or governors like Denethor - or worse". What I am trying to get at is that this marriage does not account for the "secret life in creation", - while each act of the little and weak that ennoble them, in the grand scheme of things, does account for Eru's perpetual interest and intervention. One can't make a spring with a single snowdrop.