View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Imho, I believe you are giving more weight to this issue of marriage than it ought to. I see "the secret life in creation" to be more general than the ennoblement of the Mannish bloodline; that is, it would reffer to the imperishable flame that is at the heart of the world, the invisible hand of Eru that Manwe sees in his vision as holding guiding creation to the end of it - while the elvish bloodline is bound to dissappear in ages to come.
I don't think so, as I read that "marriage" as simply a signifier for what you are explaining here. That engagement with what Tolkien calls the Drama and you call "guiding creation" is more central to the Legendarium than the enoblement of the weak and little, who are important not for themselves but for their ability to play a role in that grand design.