View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #93
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

[QUOTE=Child of the 7th Age]More fuel for speculation..... Here is a doozy of a story on The Hobbit.

OK, Gimli is not a problem. You could certainly reprise Ian as Gandalf. And I suppose they could run into a younger Arwen or Aragorn or Legalos. The latter would make some sense in Mirkwood, perhaps even helping Bilbo escape.

But what could they possibly have in mind for Pippin or Merry or someone like Boromir or Faramir? (Just how far are they going with this thing?) And how do Ian and Elijah fit in here? If all his Hobbit buds were going back for the Hobbit shooting, I can't imagine Elijah being "left out".

Any ideas?

Gimli says he was left at home as being too young at merely sixty (can't recall where this passage appears, somewhere in the HOME books, where the characters are sitting around Minas Tirith discussing the quest of Erebor).That leaves him out. Legolas would be there, but really, is there any reason Orlando Bloom couldn't just play Thranduil? That way they wouldn't have to stick in a cameo of a character who wasn't in the novel just to please the fans. Of course, he is a bit young to be convincing; Thranduil might look young, but has a mature dignity about him. I'd still rather see that than stick in Legolas. No, you couldn't have Boromir or Faramir, obviously, or even a young Denethor, because he wasn't born at the time! Arwen was in Lothlorien at the time - remember, when Aragorn first sees her, she's only just come home from there, and he's twenty at the time. Aragorn was ten and living in Rivendell during the period of The Hobbit - he could perhaps come in briefly while the maps are being interpreted and be shooed off to play. Though I sometimes wonder if Aragorn *ever* played.
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote