View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #253
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Alatariel, congratulations! I'm glad they had it! Many happy map-tracings to you.

Pukel-man, I had similar questions, and I didn't find much; but, you might want to look at this link for general interest, although it's mostly about hardcover repair:

repair

If your books are really disintegrating, would you consider simply retiring them to the shelves and getting a new reading copy? Don't throw them out; put them out to pasture, so to speak.

Or-- if you just can't do that-- I've been known to cover my paperbacks, essentially putting a dust-jacket on them as if they were a hardback; or, sometimes I even put a layer of clear contact paper over the cover (this truly **horrifies** some people, but then the book becomes much tougher.) If it's a book that I really want to protect and maintain its original condition as best I can, then I put on a paper cover (like a dust-jacket) and then cover THAT with clear contact paper.

Good luck. Whatever you do don't throw them out. I got rid of my originals (they had mildewed) and ... (sob) ... well, just don't do it! Keep them!