View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 12:12 AM   #248
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ráma and Ayar say goodbye....

"There are stories I have not taught you or your sister. Tales that relate to the earliest days of our clan. Many of these mysteries go to the very heart of who we are. Normally, this lore is not passed on until the son or daughter of the clan leader marries, or at least goes beyond their teens. But I can wait no longer."

"Do you remember when you were little, and you asked me how our clan first learned to transform into Eagles? I did not answer you then, but now I will. Thousands of years ago, our people lived in the north of Beleriand in the vale of Dimbar not far from the forests of Doriath and Brethil. Our camp lay south of the Encircling Mountains with its great cloven peak called Crissaegrim. At the top of this sheer cliff were the lofty eyries of Thorondor and his kin, those whom we look to even today. For many years, we lived side-by-side with the great Eagles, but there was little contact between us."

"Their ways were nothing like ours. Their great King Thorondor was said to have a wing span of thirty fathoms. Nor were they tame and docile creatures. No mortal was able to command them. Some say there was a mighty lord who held their allegiance, and that he is their master even today. Yet I can not say if this is true."

"One day, an Eaglet was injured fighting off many Orcs, vile creatures similar to those we saw in the last war. When an Eagle became ill or wounded, mysterious messengers usually arrived for their aid. These helpers--some called them Maiar--always came swiftly. We never actually saw them, since the healers would cover the peak with a curtain of mist and no mortal could penetrate that screen. But this time, no messenger arrived and there was no cover of mist: only a sick and very large Eagle sprawled out on the lowest slope of the Crissaegrim."

"Some of our people rushed to see what had happened and crawled up the slope with great difficulty. They administered herbs and water to the bird. Day after day, week after week, our people faithfully went and tended the creature until he was well enough to fly. All the while, the older Eagles hovered above and looked on closely to make certain that we had honorable intentions. At the end, King Thorondor approached and called us his noble children; he rewarded the clan with three special gifts. First he taught us to transform into the Eagles we know today, small but proud creatures who love the high places. Secondly, he gave us two bands of mithril set with amber stones, pieces so small that they could fit about the neck of one who took on the customary Eagle shape. And with the bands came a promise. If the clan found itself in great peril, we or our descendents could fly back and present the jewelled collars, and they would honor the request and come to help."

For a moment, Ráma sat stock still, barely comprehending what her mother had said. She had never heard a tale like this. "Do you have this jewelled collar, mama?" Ráma gasped.

"Sadly no. But I have some idea where it may be. Ráma, you must help find this collar and have one of our people present it to the Eagles. That is the only way Wyrma will be defeated, for she is powerful and cunning."

"But where do they live, these giant Eagles? And how am I to go there when I can not even take on the form of a flying creature? Surely, Narika should be the one to do this." Yet, for one instant, Ráma saw an enticing picture in her head. She was personally leading a flotilla of great Eagles back from the north and everyone in the clan was cheering.

Ayar sternly shook her head, as if reading the image in her daughter's mind. "Do not think to do this alone. That is not what I meant. You do not have the mastery of forms to go flying off for thousands of miles. You must find others to help. As to Narika, she can not be spared even to hunt down this collar. Narika must stay and help lead the clan. She and Thorn will begin military preparations for the battle that is to come. You have the freedom Narika lacks. That is my true gift to you, a gift very rare among our people. As to where the Eagles can be found, some say they went to the Misty Mountains. But that is a lot of ground to search and very far from here."

"But where do I start? And how? Who will help me?"

"Too many questions! But I do have an idea where to begin. Ride out with those who are visiting the clans to rouse them to action. On the way, pay a side trip to the tallest peak in the mountains that stand to our south, and hunt for an ancient crone who goes by the name of Ayka. Whether she will be in human or Eagle form, I can not say. But I believe she can help you find this collar and perhaps will know something about where the Eagles are. Secondly, if they are willing, get the strangers to help. All of them, this Mithadan and Airefalas and Rôg. They will know things about the wider world that we do not. Especially call on Aiwendil, the healer I mentioned. He has some part to play in all of this."

"I'll try, mama, although I do not really know any of these people. And some of the clan will be suspicious of them."

"Perhaps so, but they will need to get over their fears."

Ayar paused for a moment before she continued. "Ráma, there is one other thing that should be done. Whether or not this will work, I can not say. But you must try to hunt down the Dragon clan and ask for their help."

Ráma abruptly stood up, her eyes reflecting her confusion, "Go to the Dragons? You can not mean this!"

"I do mean it. Wyrma and her followers are not the only maenwaith who have the ability to take on the shape of a wyrm. I have heard strange tales that suggest once there were others. Perhaps some of these live even today. Just as I said before, many clans split asunder....."

"But where and how....?"

Before Ráma could ask anything else, her mother raised her hand for silence, "I am not sure. I know far less about the ways of Dragons than I do about our own people. Ask questions as you go along; see what can be discovered. I do not know if there is anything or anyone to be found, but it does not hurt to ask."

"But why must we have Dragons?" Ráma objected. "I don't even like the look of them."

"Ráma, do not judge all Dragons by Wyrma and her kind. The members of the Dragon clan were always said to be the gentlest of our people. With such great power to command, they knew how important gentleness was. Only in times of war, did they unleash their might. And we will have great need of such might. Even a dragon or two could help turn the tide of battle."

"I will try to do as you ask, but what shall I tell the Elders?" Ráma asked.

"Do not tell them too much at the beginning. Trust only your sister and Thorn and a few others that they pick. Many of the Elders have forgotten the old ways, and may not believe what you are saying. Once you have found the jewelled collars, or have spoken with the dragons who still cling to the old ways, you can bring the full news back to the Elders and invite them to help as well."

"But what will Narika say to all this? About the dragons, and the collar, and even the strangers in our own camp?"

"Don't worry. Leave that task to me. I will explain things to her tomorrow."

With that, Ráma bent down and hugged her mother goodbye, promising to return later that evening. Walking out into the bright sunlight, she signalled to Yalisha to go inside and help her mother get resettled. Only after the young woman had made her way back to check on Miri and her family did she remember that her mother had spoken of three gifts from Thorondor, and yet had only described two: the clan's ability to transform and the precious jewelled collars. Tomorrow, she promised, she would ask her mother about that third gift.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-14-2004 at 02:03 PM.