View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #41
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Liornung and Bellyn continued leading their horses off after Ędegard, but soon they noticed that ahead of them, Ędegard had stopped and was speaking to a man standing alone on the grassy plains. Liornung and Bellyn turned to each other with similar looks on their faces, and similar questions in their minds; the blacksmith? Neither hesitated to ask the question aloud, and before they could continue to make their way towards the men, Ędegard's horse had gained a new rider.

"Surely this must be the crazy blacksmith," Bellyn whispered as she and Liornung rode quickly over to Ędegard's side, where he tried to stop Echo from going off north with his new rider. By the time Bellyn and Liornung had arrived Ędegard had coaxed Echo into staying put, and it seemed the stranger was apologizing. Liornung and Bellyn exchanged another surprised glance.

"No. That is, I--" Ędegard stammered, showing a slightly frantic side of him that Bellyn and Liornung had not seen yet. "-just, where are you going with my horse?" Ędegard finished haphazardly.

"To Lothlorien."

"Lothlorien!" Bellyn exclaimed happily, reciting the coordinates in her mind with a smile on her face. Ędegard and the man -- Bellyn assumed he was the blacksmith they'd been searching for, with such a strange destination -- looked up at Bellyn and Liornung for the first time, as if they hadn't noticed the two before that moment. Ędegard's expression became cold again at seeing Liornung and Bellyn, and the stranger took a step back. Bellyn's face fell at the reaction to her voice, so she shrugged and decided to let the calm Liornung intervene, for Bellyn thought he was much better at such things.

"Ędegard, I see you've found a friend so share your horse with," Liornung began cautiously, taking the hint from Bellyn's suddenly quiet and self-conscious expression. A little smile pulled at the corner of his mouth, and Bellyn was glad that Liornung was on the little adventure with her. "Is this the young man we have been searching for, then?" Liornung said this in a quieter voice his horse moving slowly near to Ędegard, causing the young man to take a step back at the sudden movement.

"I must go in haste to Lothlorien," the young man spoke lightly, before Ędegard had a chance to respond to Liornung's inquiry. "I have to go, I cannot tarry here."

Bellyn wondered what Liornung and Ędegard would decide. Liornung had been asked to save the crazy blacksmith from getting himself into trouble, not help him to get to a destination for the young man's purposes. It didn't seem as though Ędegard planned on going any farther than catching and bringing the crazy blacksmith back to town. Bellyn certainly would not overstep her boundaries by mentioning how exciting it would be to go to Lothlorien, because she also knew that it was dangerous, and no place for her or for the young man.

"What is your name?" Bellyn asked suddenly, remembering that she only knew him as the crazy blacksmith. He seems so scared.

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 03-27-2004 at 03:31 PM.