View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #79
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

As the Dwarf entered the Hornyburg, Grrralph inspected the garish posters advertising the shows currently running in the Glitzy Caverns. Cabed-en-aras-aret he had already seen several times and he had commited its songs to memory long ago ("What good is sitting, alone on your throne?"). He also had little desire to see the animal show...something about the wild were-worms of the south and an animal tamer named Roy the Throatless. Even more threatening was the fine print on the bottom of the posters which read "three drink minimum". He shuddered at the thought, an action which made his mail jingle like a purse full of loose change.

He mounted his mighty steed and began to back away from the gate. Merisu noticed the wraith was preparing to depart and moved over to him. "Aren't you coming inside with us once the line gets smaller?" she asked as she removed her backpack and swung the Bow from her shoulder. Grrralph's glowing red eyes followed the Bow like a cat might follow a catnip mouse.

"Bow," he answered. "I mean, no! I think that I shall take a ride and enjoy the fresh air."

Merisu cocked her head prettily to one side and swung the bow back and forth in her hands. Watching Grrralph's head follow the motion of the bow, a Dwarf craftsman standing on the wall was suddenly inspired and ran to his workshop. One year later, Bali's Bobbleheads was a multi-million dollar a year business.

"Are you sure?" asked Merisu. "There'll be shows and singing."

Grrralph took a deep, ragged breath and shook his head. "No, Merisu," he responded. "I think that I need some time alone right now." The Elf nodded and turned away. No one else noticed as Grrralph rode off towards the east. Nor did anyone notice the dark speck flying high above which followed Grrralph as he went.

An hour later, Grrralph dismounted in the midst of a dusty prairie that had seen too little rain for too long. He waited silently next to a billboard advertising something called Mogūlball. He did not have to wait for long. A Nazgul dropped from the sky to land next to him and its rider dismounted. "Hey, Grrralph!" the wraith called.

"Hi Geeeorge," answered Grrralph.

"Mogūl's been following the progress of you and your friends with some interest," said Geeeeorge. "He has a real interest in the wood that your buddies have been carrying around. The Thighs and the Bow? He's very interested if you know what I mean."

"Very interested," repeated Grrralph vacantly.

"If you help him get the wood, there'll be a reward," commented the wraith as he examined the billboard.

"A reward? What kind of reward?" asked Grrralph.

"First, he'll make you vice-president of subsidiary operations. That's a plum position. You'll have your hands in all sorts of stuff and a corner office. Second... well, he wanted you to know that he bought up all of old Sourone's spells... including the Thingwraith spell."

"Does he know how to remove the spell?" demanded Grrralph, his interest piqued.

"Not yet," answered Geeeorge. "I'm as interested in that as you are. I used to be somebody. I could have been a contender. Instead of a wraith, which is what I am now. He'll work on it once his takeover bid is finished and I'll bet that he can figure out how to remove the spell."

"What does he want from me?" asked Grrralph.

"Just stay with the Itship or the Gallowship or whatever ship they call it," replied Geeeorge. "When the time comes and he moves on the wood, just step aside and let it happen. Or better yet, help out. I'll bet you'd love to lop the head of of one of those hoighty-toity Men, wouldn't you?"

Grrralph did not answer, but he thought back to when Orogarn (Two) had called him stupid, and when Earnur had called him stupid, and when Kuruharan had called him stupid, and...never mind. Though he could not recall Merisu ever calling him...

"Think about it," said Geeeorge as he mounted his Nazgul. "We don't need an answer now. Just think about it." The beast leapt into the air with its leathery wings outstretched and sped off towards the East.

Grrralph stood for a moment as dust billowed around him. Then he mounted his horse, Puff, and rode off towards the Hornyburg.