View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 08:38 AM   #48
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The Fellow/Galship rode alongside the unknown river for days, always looking for signs that Orogarn might have survived his fall, but they found nothing. It was fortuitous that the river flowed westwards, so that they were able to travel in the direction for which they were bound while still keeping up the illusion of searching for their comrade.

“We draw nigh to the land of your father,” Merisuwyniel remarked to Pimpiowyn. “Are you familiar with it?”

“I was last there as a child,” she replied. “I remember nothing of it, yet I long to see it and to dig for taters – I mean, for my roots.”

They stopped riding, for the river took a bend and now obstructed their path. Wide it flowed before them, and it was impossible to fathom its depth. No bridge nor ford (nor general motor boat) could be seen, nor was there a ferrary nearby.

“Alas, that Orogarn is not with us!” exclaimed Merisuwyniel. “He, being trained in the arts of dental construction in Minus Teeth, would certainly have known how to build a bridge over this river.”

“What we need is a boat,” Etceteron offered with his usual perceptiveness.

“But there is no boat here,” said Pimpiowyn, expert at stating the obvious succinctly.

“‘Boat’ rhymes with ‘float’,” mused Vogonwë helpfully.

“Chrysophylax and I could fly to the harbour of Missland, where the expert shipbuilders live,” Kuruharan suggested suddenly. “We could purchase plans for building a chip – I mean, ship - there.”

“No need to spend money on plans,” interrupted Gateskeeper. “I can search for them on-a-line for free.” He proceeded to rummage through his baggage, finding a string which bound documents together. “I’m sure there is something… Ah, here it is! ‘The Guaranteed Unsinkable Ship!’”

Eagerly the others gathered around him, thankful for his apparently unselfish help.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

Weeks later, with many setbacks, crashes and costs for materials that they hadn’t expected at the planning stage, their boat was finished. It looked good, thanks to the nice surface, so they boarded without any doubts. If it seemed a bit wobbly, what with luggage, horses and other paraphernalia, they attributed that to their lack of knowledge of seafaring ways. Kuruharan refused to join them, choosing rather to fly across on Chrysophylax. Soon they were on the other side, waiting for their companions to arrive.

At first they revelled in the luxury deck, enjoying the food and telling entertaining tales. But after some time, Pimpiowyn became impatient, wanting a glimpse of their goal. She ran to the front of the boat, leaning over the railing and spreading her arms wide in a gesture of welcome to the land that lay before them. Vogonwë, fearing for her safety, rushed to hold her. That was too much for the craft – it began to lean forwards, then to sink slowly but inexorably.

The members of the Itship rushed about helplessly, seeking for lifeboats or at least life vests. They now realized that there had been only one, and it was already in the water, with the Gateskeeper rowing toward the shore. Merisuwyniel kept her wits about her, but though she knew the Entish Bow would float, she doubted that it could hold her above water, much less the others as well. Her clothing was practical (yet feminine) on land, but not at all suitable for water sports. Would their quest come to an untimely end? Would she and her comrades drown in the murky floods? Could the horses swim? Would the Bow become water-logged and sink? And would she ever get the mudstains out of her blouse?

Just as she thought that her life was over, she heard someone cry, “The Sea-Gulls are coming!” Chrysophylax had finally aroused himself to save them, at an exorbitant price, of course, but before he could do so, huge birds came flying low, grasping them in their claws and carrying them to the shore. There they lay, gasping for breath and hardly able to thank their unexpected saviours. The fair fowls had flown away with nary a thought for reward, leaving Merisuwyniel and her companions grateful, though Chrysophylax and Kuruharan were disappointed at the lost opportunity for monetary gain. The Gateskeeper used the moment of confusion to rejoin them as if nothing had happened.

There they sat, as dirty as the earth upon which they had taken place, thereby almost invisible to all but the keenest eyes. The sound of thunder prompted them to look up at the sky, hoping for a welcome shower, but not a cloud could be seen. By the time they realized that the only cloud near them was made of dust and approaching rapidly, the riders were almost upon them.

Merisuwyniel stood bravely and proudly, despite her bedraggled appearance, and shouted, “What news of the Mike, Riders of Soreham?”
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'