View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 02:41 AM   #148
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If I understood now at a long last, what you mean correctly, Arvegil145, you would like either to leave out the sub-chapter title The Second Prophecy of Mandos or change it. Right?
As I just posted in another thread, since the project has decided against the idea of Middle-earth equivalents of our text, we do not make any direct statement how the overall text or this chapter has come down the long year. What we do in our text is give a clear indication that this prophecy was only know as rumour about Men (directly below the sub-title).
I don’t think that any Elf would have had a full knowledge of all prophecies Mandos had made in all the long time that allowed for a transfer of knowledge about it to Men. Thus the question is, even if we think about a larger group of Elves, what could they have said, if Men reported about such a prophecy? In my opinion they could only have voiced some doubts about its authorship by Mandos (and only by that cast some doubts on its content). And that is exactly what we have done. And that is especially true if we consider that they ‘had no myths or legends dealing with the end of the world’. How could they gainsay any myths or legends of Men about the far future, without any knowledge (feigned or real), myth or legend of their own?

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: I appreciate, that the arguments are backuped by quotes. But sometimes it easier to understand the intention when you take the time to make a proposal for the change in question.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote