View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #259
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
“What do you know of these murders, Ulfast?” asked Jord. Murders? thought Ulfast. More than one? Ulfast had only known of the murder of Lachrandir. Was there another he should know about? Had he missed something? Jord continued. “There have been rumors circling through the hall all day." [/i]All day? How could that be? Lachrandir had been murdered perhaps two hours ago. Is she playing cat and mouse with me?[/i] "Or perhaps I should ask Uldor?” She glanced sideways at Ulfast in that way she had, the gleam in the eye, the playful smile on her lips; the play of a predator with its prey. She was trying to provoke him!

"He knows no more than I! We have been hunting side by side all day." His own voice sounded harsh in his ears compared with her purring words. "As to the murder of Lachrandir, it must have been the filty Borrim pair, maybe trying to ruin the pledge between Lord Caranthir and the Ulfings." He still know nothing of a second murder and did not care to admit it. "So tell me what you know of these murders, and what folk are saying."

She spoke of the Borrim lord's death, reported by guards in the hall. He knew that the Borrim would have word back to their folk, and there would be no alliance between Borrim and Ulfing.

"Just as well," Ulfast said, "it means more glory for the Ulfings.

"And as for my brother, you say that I stand in his shadow. It is the way of the Ulfings. He is the elder, and so has right of birth. The only way for me to take his place is for him to die. Am I to murder him? Those who love him would want vengeance on me. Nay, if Morgoth wants me to lead, then Morgoth must see to it that Uldor is removed. Unless you know of another way?"

It was not the most subtle speech, but it would have to do, to give him some kind of advantage. And perhaps Jord knew of a way. This was his chance to learn of it. He watched her carefully to see what he could read in her expression. What would she say?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-29-2008 at 07:11 AM.