View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #419
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick had not yet stopped scratching his head about the dwarf’s excitable entrance when he gave the man at the counter his question. He listened in silence to the traveler’s response with all his attention, but half of his mind was thinking about what it would be like having a guest like the dwarf...he wondered what sort of character he was, if he was rough, if they would have trouble with him, or if he would make trouble, or what…the questions went on, but he tried not to let any show on his face.

“No good sir, I have not had the fortune of visiting the Shire before, it seems all these years I have been missing out on a wonderful part of the world. However it is not the first time I have met your fine folk. Indeed I met a small group of Hobbits in Bree.”

Dick smiled again. For now, at least, he could settle his mind on this pleasant fellow. Tollers would take care of the dwarf, at least for the time being. Having taken a drink of his ale, the young man went on.

“Ah, now that was worth the long route I took! And even more worth it seeing customers of all sorts you get here! A rather ‘queer’ entrance from that dwarf.”

No joke, said Dick to himself. He sent a swift glance towards the said dwarf and nodded his head sagely. Tollers was walking back towards him, now, from delivering the dwarf his two pints and probably after taking an order for breakfast.

“But heights above, I’ve not introduced myself, please attribute my temporary lack of manners to the dust road! I am Tehol. I would be most gratified to know your name sir and the history of this fine establishment if you would take the time to tell all, I have been to a fair few Inn’s but none as homely as The Golden Perch. A fine name for sure!”

“Aye, the Perch is an excellent place,” said Dick with pride, his face lighting up again. He could not decide whether to be worried over the dwarf, or to be pleased to have such a friendly customer as this. “We do our best anyway,” he said after a short pause. He didn’t want to brag too much. Before he could go on, he felt a tug at his sleeve. He turned his head half way to see Tollers, leaning towards him in the fashion that people do when they have something they wish to impart in your ears. Dick leaned his head towards Tollers and the young hobbit whispered in his ear,

“I’m giving the dwarf over yonder the room at the far end of the passage. The large one, with two windows overlooking the street.”

Dick nodded and Tollers scurried off. The innkeeper turned towards Tehol again and opened his mouth to speak. But then a thought checked him and his words stopped in his throat. The large room at the far end of the passage? With two windows looking out over the street? By all means, that was probably the finest, underground room they had, and the dwarf would like it, but. . .but there was one objection. One very large objection. . .he could deal with that later, he had something else on his hands for now.

“I’ve hardly introduced myself properly,” he said, focusing on Tehol. “Besides telling you I was the innkeeper, I told you nothing else. I am Seredic Boffin, but everyone just calls me Dick. I’m not really from around these parts,” he went on. “I’d be very happy to tell you about the Perch and how she came about, but, my dear sir, you must be most uncomfortable, bent half over like that. Let’s go find a seat,” he said, with a glance around him to see that nothing needed immediate tending to, “and when we’re both more comfortable, I’ll tell you all you want to know.”

Dick liked a good chat when he could get one. He pointed Tehol over to an empty table and excused himself quickly so that he could fetch his pipe from the kitchen. It was mid morning by now and none too early for a short smoke and a stool to prop his feet up on. In five minutes he was settled in deep in his chair, one arm over the back, his feet on the chair underneath the table, a pipe in his hand, and the traveler opposite him with his ale mug in his hand.

“Now, if you get bored or want to hear something else, or want more to eat or drink, just interrupt me and we’ll make you comfortable,” said Dick, and began to tell him what he knew about the place. He told him about the Goodbody family, how he had met them and married the old innkeeper’s daughter. He talked about the many sorts of people who came in and out. He talked a great deal about their famous beer, how it was known all throughout Eastfarthing. “We have people come from miles about just to taste some of this!” he told him, quite in earnest, too. And in all this time, Tehol never interrupted him.