View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 01:54 AM   #297
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ealasaide's post - Fador & the Elders

Maintaining his silence, Fador watched as Mumtaz shook his head. "While we have always put great trust in guidance that comes to us from the Dreamtime," said Mumtaz, choosing his words carefully as he addressed the assembly. "How do we know that this is even a real city that Sorona speaks of? For all we know, this city and the shadow alike could be merely symbolic. Or memory intertwined with fear."

The eagle shook her head. A touch of frustration, almost desperation, crept into her voice as she replied: "It is not memory or fear. It is a warning. I beg that you heed it."

Barakah nodded sagely. "A warning from the Dreamtime should never be taken lightly, Mumtaz. If Sorona says that it is a warning, then I am inclined to believe her.” The white-haired woman glanced around the troubled faces of the assembly, her gaze finally settling on Narika’s fair countenance. “We have seen the signs of approaching evil already in the slaying of our beloved Ayar. While I have no proof, I believe Wyrma and her city somehow to be behind it. We must flee into the deep desert to save ourselves and all that we hold dear.” Her gaze slid smoothly over to catch the eyes of Thorn, who nodded his understanding, though he did not speak either in support of her or against her.

“And leave the other clans to fall subject to Wyrma’s machinations?” asked Fador. “We saw what happened to the Wolf clan when we did not go to their assistance at the time of the Haradrim raids. Shall we flee again and leave the others to their fates?”

Across from him, the eagle’s feathers ruffled tensely.

Dakarai frowned through his beard. “You know that is not what Barakah proposes. I think she means that all of those who oppose Wyrma’s city should move quickly out of her reach.”

“Her reach is very long,” said Fador. “She has already demonstrated that much, if she is indeed behind the slaying of Ayar. If that is the case, then how far should we flee? And for how long? If she is truly behind this evil, she will hunt us. We cannot hide forever.”

“Yet we should not rush into war,” said Barakah. “Nor should we embrace a city that would be nothing more than a prison to us. No, what I propose is that we flee deeper into the desert for the moment, only until we can determine what is really happening and who our allies are. When we know these things, only then can we take the proper action to avoid the horrors of Sorona‘s vision.”

“How do we determine who our allies even are?” demanded Mumtaz.

“Perhaps we should not flee,” said Harith. “Perhaps we should stay and send outriders to the other clans, see what they think of this city, if any of their people have had visions. If this thing is really so evil, why should a vision come only to Sorona? Surely the Guardians of the Dreamtime would warn more than just one.”

Fador nodded. “Elder Harith speaks wisely. What I propose is this: We concentrate now on bidding farewell to our dead and seeing that the marriage of Thorn and Narika takes place as planned.” He looked from face to face.

“Each of us,” he said, “Goes from this place to think and mull over Sorona’s warnings separately. We will see what the Guardians of the Dreamtime have to tell us separately, if anything. Then, in three day’s time, when we meet again to pass the mantle of leadership from Ayar to Narika and Thorn, we will decide what action to take. We will decide then how to determine our allies and whether we stay or flee. Agreed?”

A general murmur of agreement rippled through the tent as the elders, the two young leaders, and Sorona all stirred to depart. Spreading her wings, Sorona hopped to where Fador stood.

“Do not take these warnings lightly. I beg you,” she said softly. “The danger is dire and it is growing.”

Fador gave her a considering stare, then smiled gravely. “I take nothing lightly,” he reassured her. While he lent his voice a comforting tone, Fador’s thoughts were anything but comfortable. He indeed took nothing lightly, the eagle’s warning least lightly of all, but not for the reasons he would have the others believe. Already his mind whirled, trying to determine how he might turn the eagle’s dream and the accompanying fear to his own advantage. It was not something he had planned on having to deal with, but surely he could find some angle, some advantage hidden therein.

The eagle hesitated for a brief instant, then folded her wings. “It is all I can ask,” she said with something almost akin to resignation.

Fador nodded and watched as she moved away, wondering if she knew something more or if she had shared with them all that there was to share. Only time would tell.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-20-2005 at 02:08 AM.