View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #151
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Mithadan nodded appreciatively (and took note) at his host's interest in Bird. "She is a bit older than you. Slight of build and a few inches shorter than you. Her skin is dark, olive not swarthy, and her hair is black save for a white streak nearly in the middle. If you come across her or hear of her whereabouts, please get word to me, for we miss her."

Korpulfr nodded thoughtfully, but replied, "She is not familiar to me but I shall ask about. If I hear any news I shall find a way to notify you even if you are in Gondor."

Tinar had listened with interest to Mithadan's story and his description of Bird. Now he leaned forward and asked, "What shapes does she take?"

Mithadan's face remained impassive, but he was surprised at the interest in his long lost friend. All others that he had spoken to, save Rama, had scoffed at the notion that shapechangers even existed. Yet Korpulfr evinced no hint of skepticism and now Tinar, who had entered Falasmir's reception in the company of Umbar's lord and the one named Wyrma, was asking for more detail about her in a serious fashion as if the shapeshifters were a quite typical subject of discussion! Mithadan's natural sense of caution came to the fore and, despite his desire to find Bird, he chose to say less than he might.

"The bird form, the jackdaw that I mentioned, is the only form of hers that I know. Can a shapeshifter take more than one form?"

Tinar opened his mouth to respond, but Korpulfr spoke before the younger one could reply. "We have heard of the shapeshifters," he said with a sharp look at Tinar. "They are but a legend to us. Indeed most do not believe they exist. But we will look out for your friend, legend or no."

Mithadan nodded and changed the subject to the strange color of the sunset that evening. But even as he spoke, he filed away the conversation for later consideration. Clearly, his host knew more than he admitted. His last interjection had been too hurried and fit poorly with the attention these Southrons had paid to his tale. Shapechangers were no strangers to Korpulfr and the people of his house. But now he must take care, for he and Airefalas already had enemies in Umbar and did not need to make more.

The conversation now wandered from subject to subject as after dinner drinks were served. Mithadan excused himself to take a bottle of strong liquor to the guards in the courtyard (who continued to grumble at the poor reception they had received) before returning to the common room. He continued to speak amiably with his hosts about trade prospects and goods, but his mind began to wander a bit as he became concerned about the time. They had been at Korpulfr's home for more than three hours if he was any judge, and his thoughts turned to the Lonely Star which, by now, was quietly preparing to get underway.
As politely as possible, he stood with a wide yawn and said, "Loath am I to depart from such fine hospitality, but this is our second late night in a row and I grow weary. I am sure the drink has a bit to do with it as well." His hosts laughed politely and rose as well. From the corner of his eye, Mithadan saw Airefalas pick up his bag and reach inside to check upon the knives secreted therein.

Korpulfr rose and bowed slightly to his guests before taking Mithadan by the arm. "Come," he said. "We will show you to the door."