View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 08:43 AM   #150
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Kórpulfr

Korpulfr was not the only one to become uncomfortable with the captains chosen tale, several eyes glanced uneasily in his direction at the northern mans mention of shape changers, but all he could do was smile reassuringly and listen as the captain continued his tale. Mithadan’s recount of the Beornings tugged at his curiosity, he had heard tales in his youth concerning distant kin that could take the form of great bears, but until now he had believed them to be only myth, for there was none among their race who could successfully take the bear form. The captains telling of his friend... this bird also intrigued him, she had to be Maenwaith, but how she found herself so far north was a puzzle to him. The storytellers told nothing that he could recall of any of their kind leaving these lands. He then began to wondered if perhaps this bird might not be one of the young taken when the darkness cast it’s long shadow southward, but he soon dismissed this thought when the captain told of the long friendship the Maenwaith had with his wife, which denoted that she was older in years than those dark times.

“What happened to bird then, is she still part of your crew?”

The child’s innocent question pulled him abruptly from his thoughts, he had seen no women on the ship that morning, but he had not been looking for one, let alone one that might have been Maenwaith. The captain shook his head, telling them that she had gone in search of her kin and that he had not heard from her in some time. The man’s sadness seemed genuine enough and Korpulfr found himself wishing he could give him some hope by telling him that he had found her kin. But the memory of man’s foreign tongue, renewed his guarded and suspicious nature, many was the time that he himself had used the tongue of his people to relay thing’s he didn’t want others to hear and he now wondered if the tale was not a trap set to trip them up.

“No I am afraid we have not heard of this extraordinary woman or any of her kin!” He answered shaking his head in feigned sympathy and looking regretfully to the expectant faces of the youngsters.

“But I have to admit it has been a long time since I have heard a tale that has so piqued my curiosity, come I should like to her more of these shape changers and why this friend of yours would think to find her kin in the barren deserts of the southlands. Then perhaps in return I could enquire among the various clans as to weather they have heard of your friend or the kin that she seeks, when next I travel the desert trade routes .” he continued warmly, adding the offer of help in order to gain the mans trust.

Several women then rose and began ushering the children out of the room. “aww we want to hear more about bird!” they chorused, but the women quickly tried to settled them with promises that Korpulfr would retell any new tales another time, the children then looked in his direction for confirmation.

“I promise to tell you all of what I learn,” he laughed. This seemed to satisfy them, for they turned and followed the women from the room. Chattering excitedly to one another about the shape changer who was friends with strangers, something uncommon among their people. Kor was only glad that the children now spoke in their own tongue, so the innocence of their words would not give them away.

“It must have been a great asset to have had someone with such great talents among your crew?” he heard Hasrim ask dryly, his dark eyes studying the captains face with suspicion, but if the captain took note he did not show it. Instead answering simply that his friend had seen them out of many a tight spot and for that, he was truly grateful. Korpulfr raised his hand and a young man approached, Korpulfr lifted his goblet for him to fill then gestured that he should refill those of his guests.

“Now tell me more of this fascinating woman and her kin and I will see what I can do to help.” He smiled warmly, gesturing for Mithadan to continue.