View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #118
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Amanaduial fought her way through the windy night to the Inn door, where she glanced up at the sign. The Seventh Star name and logo swung in the wind, but the brass hinges looked steady enough. Aman took a moment to steady her own slim frame before going in. It hadnt been that long since she had visited the Star, just under six months, but it had been longer than she had intended. Of late though, it had seemed there was a more pressing need to get here...still, she was blowed if she knew what it was. Her wolves still travelled with her, weaving around her legs. They were determined to come in out of the wind, and Aman just hoped the Innkeeper wouldnt mind- word had it that there had been a new Innkeeper here, as well as in its sister inns in Rohan and the Shire, The Green Dragon and The White Horse. Well, he'd better not mind wolves...

Stepping through the door she let in a blast of wind that blew several papers and light objects from their perches. Aman winced. Talk about making an entrance. The wolves slunk in behind her and Aman half expected to be thrown out immediately; a dark-cloaked figure with two rather villainous looking wolves at her heels. Hesitantly, Aman pulled back her hood and looked around the Inn...

Among the things Aman may have expected to happen were being thrown out, having her wolves thrown out, or being given funny looks all night and being asked whether 'they' were house-trained.

What she certainly wasnt expecting was a cheer.

"Ah, and talk of the devil, here she is!"

Aman froze, her hands still on her cloak as she was about to take it off and hang it on a coatstand at the door. She stood stock still for a moment, then, veeeeery slowly, she turned around. To her surprise, she saw smiling faces, two of them familiar as...

"Pio! Mithadan!" Aman exclaimed, surprised. The latter smiled and nodded appreciatively where he sat behind the bar, and Pio grinned happily at her, walking quickly across the room. Aman met her halfway, hugging her friend. She released her, Pio's infectious grin making her beam as well, but she was still puzzled. "Wait a minute...whats all this about talk of the devil? And cheering? Gracious me Pio, I dont think Ive been cheered in at least five score years!"

Pio covered her mouth for a moment, gasping but still smiling. "You don't know? Oh, how odd that you appeared now!" She turned to the Innkeeper, eyebrows raised. "Wouldnt you say so?"

The Innkeeper simply smiled mysteriously and raised an eyebrow. Pio held his gaze for a moment, before apparently remembering the slightly worried Aman, still hovering uncertainly in front of her. She inclined her head, motioning for the other to follow and she led her to the plaque over the fireplace.

Aman had of course seen the plaque before, the last time she came. It listed all of the noble Lords and Ladies of Gondor; Mithadan, Thenamir, Gilthalion, Bethberry, Gandalph the Grey, Piosenniel, Rimbaud, Mark 12-30, Child of the Seventh Age and Estelyn Telcontar. But there was something different about the plaque now, the way it gleamed in the soft light, the reflection of the flames in the fireplace illuminating the curves and swirls in the letters. But there was a new name there as well beside those of the scribes of Gondor.

"Oh good gods..." Aman murmered, then her voice raised to an exclamation. "Amanaduial the Archer! Here?!"

She traced the letters with her fingers. Turning she looked at the still grinning Innkeeper, and pointed a finger at him as if about to reprimand him. "You knew I would come! But how?"

Once again he only shrugged. Aman smiled, then gave a small, happy laugh, fuelled by her surprise. Her, little Aman, beside the nobles of Gondor. "Well then mystery man, even if you can somehow get me here from the Shire simply by the power of a small, indecipherable letter and maybe even simply the power of your mysterious persona, I thank you for this."

"Tis a pleasure Aman, a pleasure."

Pio smiled now. "See, he can speak! A drink Aman? After all this calls for celebration!"

Aman nodded gratefully. "Please, thankyou Pio. I'll have...do you do mulled wine? I've gotten rather used to the stuff in the Shire."