View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 09:13 PM   #83
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

What a contrast of inner and outer walls there was this night at The Seventh Star.

If any of those celebrating the feast of fellowship inside the Inn had looked up--and only one did--they would have seen under the dark umber of the Inn's eaves, hovering near the window, a shadowy presence. It hung over the strange bird that had set upon the window sill and seemed to pick up the rhythm of the bird's nodding head. Suddenly, the bird took wing and the presence furtively glanced left, right, even into the White presence of the Seventh Star itself, before disappearing into the folds of night. After a moment or two a second bird swooped down, landed on a different window and peered anxiously into bright interior.

Everyone was warmed and made hearty by good-natured fellowship celebrating life and light. Gamba handed around to Rianna, Karrigan, Mithadan, Vanima and Varda more of the hot mulled wine. Birdland, piosennial, Gandalf, Child and Susan choose to try the egg nog which Bethberry had insisted she make.

"The Innkeeper would forgive us our intrusion," she had said, striding into the kitchen holding Birdie's exquisite gifts of rare spices. She called for eggs, and cream, good thick, heavy cream that could be whipped into a concoction neither liquid nor solid, sugars, all blended together with some of the precious vanilla of Birdie's gift. Truth be told Bethberry also added a golden-hued beverage, in small quantity, to add a piquant warmth to the egg nog. Grating some of the precious nutmeg and cinnamon, she sprinkled them over the large bowl of egg nog, which she then carried ceremoniously back into the main room of the Inn, where Gandalf's magic had woven music as well into foot, hand and soul. Each who was inclined helped himself or herself to the rich drink.

"Gandalf, many thanks, for your gift of melody and song here at the Seventh Star."

"Susan, your unique gift of garlic is as pungent as those of Birdie's spices and just as precious. It not only flavours stews and casseroles, but is said to ward off colds and catarrhs and the grippe. It soothes body and spirit. For your thoughtfulness, I thank you kindly from my heart and also offer my happiness at the inclusion of your name on the List of Gondor. A distinction well-earned and much deserved."

The River-Daughter's daughter then turned to Birdie.

"Gladly will I help you market these precious spices, Birdie. I have but heard of them and never 'til now was acquainted with their pungent aromas, their intoxicating scents. To the south I have never been, but you, from the strange light in your eyes, I suspect have found a treasure which means more than helpful use. Doubly, even thrice grateful am I for your clever kindness and your thoughtful care."

At that point, the Glasshammer minstrels struck up a new song and all the voices rang in merriment. The fellowship was heard throughout the land, spreading even as far as the Downs and the Old Forest, for it seemed to pick up a theme of music unmarred.

Yet as the music and drink rang out its cheer, Wyrd managed to catch Bethberry's eye. The falcon shook his head once over his shoulder and then nodded three times. When none were looking, she slipped away ....

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]