View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #88
FlimFlamSam
Pile O'Bones

FlimFlamSam has just left Hobbiton.
FlimFlamSam the White.

Morthoron spoke: [but then suddenly become jaded on the subject or, rather, the foundational aspects of the material.]
Suddenly? Nope.
Nor am I new here. Well, I haven't posted for about 10-12 years here or thereabouts, so I guess that does make me new or a newcomer in a manner of speaking.
The people who knew me best back then; HerenIstarion, Mithadan, Tar-Elenion, Lindil and a few others are most likely no longer here and I have not checked on their status as of yet. They knew The Silmarillion had burned me out back then, and one of the reasons I left.

Not to toot any horns really--especially in this very ironic sense considering my now long-standing views--but it was using HOME and other texts in creating a cohesive Silmarillion for myself and mentioning in a discussion thread regarding the Lord of the Rings Epilogue the merging of texts that I had done that led to the idea of the Translation from the Elvish project here as a cooperative venture based on The Silmarillion merging I had already done. The idea of doing it again--in committee no less... no way.
In retrospect, I wish I had never done it. But what is done is done.

Since then, my gag-reflex towards those materials, including UT, and everything else not strictly Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit has taken irreversible hold. Inversely, my appreciation for those two books has increased.
In "tailoring to me", I do that myself on those texts, removing and altering as much of the offending material as I wish.

As for attacks against me from others... knock yourselves out.
I have attacked no poster. I have summarized my views in appropriate threads and paraphrased some letters and posted on fairly recent topics in others as digging up new threads months old serves little purpose. I have done some criticism of Mr Tolkien and his work. That seems to upset some people--in some cases deeply. Oh well.
FlimFlamSam is offline   Reply With Quote