View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I call the shots! ‘Bout time that happened! Archim’s eyes glinted in the yellowed light cast from the Inn’s lanterns. He rubbed his hands together and grinned broadly at Hama and Graitwa. They both looked askance at him, hoping there would be no trouble.

As if they had spoken aloud, he produced a worn pack of cards from his inner vest pocket, and shuffled them with a practiced hand. Fréa, talking to someone at the bar, glared his way when the riffling of the cards drew his attention.

Archim ignored his brother’s look, and feeling in an expansive mood, clapped Graitwa and the very surprised Hama on the shoulder. ‘There’s a nice sized table over there,’ he said motioning with his chin to a fair-sized round table at the back of the Common Room. He stood up and motioned for the serving girl. ‘Drinks on the house, from my companions and myself,’ he said, smiling and waving his hand to take in the patrons in the room. There were shouts of approval, and many glances fell his way. Once he was sure of his audience, Archim held up his pack of cards and pointed toward the round table.

‘A friendly game of chance, perhaps, good sirs,’ he said invitingly. ‘Something to occupy our minds and hands while the Inn’s good ale occupies our bellies!’

Several patrons stood and followed Archim as he made his way back to the table. Graitwa and Hama looking at one another, shook their heads. Fréa concerned that their stay here might be marked by something disagreeable came up to the table they still sat at and hissed at them in a low voice. ‘Best you two get back there and keep an eye on him. It would be all we needed to have some trouble start up over his card shenanigans, and us get thrown in the locks for it.’

Grudgingly, the two got up and trailed after Archim, who now sat with several new ‘friends’, explaining a mile a minute the beauty of a card game he learned in Rohan. And all the while his hands, in a mesmerizingly fluid motion, shuffled and reshuffled the cards . . . like a snake . . . drawing his willing victims in . . .