View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 07:07 AM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurion
No armour ever made was too heavy to fight in, with the exception of some tournament armours that were specially-reinforced to make sure that the chances of the jousting knight being hurt by the impact of the lances were miniscule. Some of those suits weighed up to 150 lbs or more, but the average weight of a full plate harness was about 60 lbs (mid-13th century full maille was slightly heavier), which is about the same amount a modern soldier's helmet, body armour, load-bearing gear (with ammunition, rations, etc) and weapon weigh.
Tournaments armours were often the same armour as was worn in to battle; the main difference was that in tournaments you added some extra plates for protection. Only the really rich and I mean really rich could afford two, often these armours was inherited from the father.

I cannot say that much about exact the weight of armour, but I have read that a helmet weight about 13lbs.
I have allso read of cases were a full plated knight has been knocked of his horse and could not get up because of the weight of the armour.

Allthough a chainmail was heavy it was still lighter than a full plate harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurion
Medieval armour (and Gondorian armour follows the pattern quite closely) was designed to be as flexible and light as possible while maximizing protection. A knight in full cap a pie armour, trained to wear it like a well-fitted suit of clothes, could run, jump, turn cartwheels, sprint over short distances and even perform handsprings. A warrior in half or partial armour like Boromir would be even more agile.
I would weary much like to see some documentation if it is possibel, since every book i have read clearly contradicts this statement. A full plated knight needs i his horse to fight!

I will give you this: Asuming Boromir is so well made as the platedt armour was justy before it got outdated, it would have been light enough for him to be fully mobile on a battle field.

If we go back to the 14th centery the kind of armour Boromir was wearing was manly used by pikemen who did not need great agillety, as there main purpos was to hold a close formation so that the cavelary could not charge.

Basicly what i am saying is: You were right about Boromir's armour and i was wrong, but your arguments i find was mostly wrong.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 10-01-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote