View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 02:30 AM   #235
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
As you can see in the structure of my proposed Thain's Book I show the cronology of the Second and Third Ages but each one in their respective sections and all were enlarged with dates and events taken from PoME and genealogical tables or contrasted notes writen by Tolkien.
As I think is in this forum, I don't and didn't want to invent anything that changes the internal history writen by Tolkien. I only 'invent' some few subtitles for chapters (not words so told so by Tolkien) because they do not change anything in history.
I.e. In WotJ there is a note that Tolkien change the Dor-lómin lordship fot Hador by Fingolfin in 416FA so this is an adition in the ToY (for tht reason I don't agree to invent an hipothetical and speculative date for a 'new' lordship date if Hador/Magor change is taken apart that the lodships of Dor-lómin and Ladros are give in a temporal similarity and it is not developed narratively by the Professor, and as this example there are others). In NoME there are a proposed date by Tolkien for the birth of Finduilas or Idril so it could be taken and so and so.

As for the 4th, and after ages we don't have anything apart the First years from the LotR and the well know statement by Tolkien and confirmed in NoME that we are now in the 7th age. So for my rules should be left as it is because I would do speculative stuff.

In my proposal Thain's Book I do make especial importance about the transmision method of the texts as Tolkien wrote in the Note about the Shire Recordings. So the 'Compilation of Findegil of Gondor of the Thain's Book' is a Middle Earth book that (not writen in my text) was was discovered by Tolkien in some time and place.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote