View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 05:05 PM   #91
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thenamir, what happened to your accent? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though; people have been bemoaning the Internet because they believe it will lead to the loss of the written word as an art form. I don't see this myself (though I have to admit my longhand has deteriorated through lack of use.)

I've found my writing style and spelling have been vastly improved by participating in forums. I credit it with keeping the written word alive for me. But that is only the case because I have reached back and tried to remember the lessons of good grammar and spelling that I learned many, many years ago.

But if you are using "chatese" and "internet shorthand" in all of your writings, even when it is not necessary (and yes, I suppose there is an argument for shorthand being used in some of these overcrowded chat rooms), then you are "cutting your own throat". For the time is coming when these lessons in writing will become very necessary.

For most of our forum members who are still in school, the time is coming - quicker than you think - when you are going to have a real need for the grammar and spelling that some other members are demanding of you now. Are you going to write your college essays in "shorthand"? Your resumes? Your letters and e-mails to important clients in the working world?

If you ask most employers what they are seeking - and not finding - in prospective employees, they are going to tell you "someone with good communication skills." And yes, that does include writing! You are missing the perfect opportunity to practice these skills while participating in these forums.

And if nothing else; it should be remembered that this forum is dedicated to a favorite English writer. You can only really honor the author by honoring the written word.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote