View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #136
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Thanks for the interest in clarification, Mr. Underhill. I am saying that, for a variety of reasons, I cannot always enjoy some aspects of Tolkien's style even though I have tremendous admiration for the vast range of his imagination, his creativity, his recognition of the value of fantasy, his great knowledge of language, his great concern with the use and abuse of power, and, finally, the necessity for pity (much as we would likely not use that word pity today).

However, as you yourself have suggested, this thread is foundering on shoals of personal opinion and feeling. I consider it beached.

Edit: And just as an observation aside from the above, I think you have likely misconstrued the point of Lush's post. I really don't think she was suggesting that people do not have the right to voice disagreements over other people's comments and criticisms.(Nor, in fact, have I.) Lush is one of the most open-minded people here on the Downs.

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]