View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting A Truly Proper Opening Text?

I noticed recently, as I idly opened up a newer copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, a text by a Mr. Peter S. Beagle. I never noticed it before, as I have always read the first American publication additions. And, I actually read it (which is quite an accomplishment for me, as I like to skip over anything other than Prologues...slothful am I). It gave me the feeling that Peter S. Beagle was not the kind of man to be writing an opening text for a novel of Tolkien. The man may praise Tolkien, but in just this short three paragraphs, he already seems to display some blatant opinions that do not really belong. I believe his last statement is especially questionable:

Quote:
We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers -- thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Now, everyone is allowed to voice their own opinions (lord knows I haven't cherished that freedom!!), but I'm not sure why exactly this was placed at the beginning of The Lord of the Rings.

All of this I say, though what I read and how I understand those words. And I am not at all good at analyzing these types of things, so I was wondering if someone could straighten me out. I feel like I am making a biased assumption (I am not aware of who exactly Peter S. Beagle is -- yes, I know, I don't get out much: pity me, and so I rightly feel that I am being biased), but I cannot help but make it!!

-Durelin

Note: I searched for threads on Peter S. Beagle and such, and found none. If my searching skills are at a loss, I apologize profusely for giving you this inconvenience to delete.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote