View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #12
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145 View Post
I know...but - who were you replying to?
To Mithadan:
Quote:
However, Dorwinion is mentioned in HoME 5 (thank you, HoME 13, I knew I saw this reference somewhere). In the concluding paragraph of the Quenta Silmarillion (c. 1938), the "meads" of Dorwinion are mentioned in connection with Avallon and Eriol/Aelfwine's travel into the West. CT believed that Dorwinion (at that time) was located in Tol Eressea. We can assume that Dorwinion, "land of wine," is a bit generic in nature. Wine produced in Tol Eressea before the exile would not appear more than two ages later in a Sindarin/Nandorin realm. So there was likely a place in Middle Earth during the Third Age named or known as Dorwinion.
--------------------------------------------

However, as sharp a ret-con as your theory is, we also I think should consider that Elves tended to give places names in their own language whatever the locals called it (Hadhodrond, Belegost, Ro(c)han(n), Esgaroth, even Erebor) and we only hear "Dorwinion" from Thranduil's people. What the Sindarized Nandor called the "Land of Wine" could very well have been a Mannish country. The location though makes perfect sense; the bustling (former) trade of Erebor, Dale and Esgaroth must have primarily moved up and down the River Running (water always being a better and faster way to transport goods than overland before the advent of steam).