View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 02:39 AM   #2
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great point about "NoME Indis". Looking at the two Shibboleth texts, it certainly appears that the Aragorn note was written after the "daughter of his sister" comment in the text; it's a footnote to the end of the "Names" section.

The "sister" version is from HoME X:261-2, the "Finwe and Miriel" chapter. Looking at the sequence of composition, the "FM4" text which makes Indis sister of Ingwe was written after "FM2", which was derived from LaCE, which is itself ca. 1958. "FM3" was written on a new typewriter Tolkien acquired in January 1959 (cf. HoME X:300). And the NoME texts are among the latest in the "Time and Aging" composition sequence, which per NoME itself means they post-date the typescript of LaCE.

My best guess of the chronology is therefore:
  • FM4, 1959: Indis, sister of Ingwe.
  • NoME, 1959: Indis, daughter (1st or 2nd child) of Ingwe
  • Shibboleth, 1968: Indis, niece of Ingwe.
  • Shibboleth, 1968: Indis, descendent of Ingwe.

I'm afraid I do have to query your "House = patrilineal descent" comment. The House of Eorl, for example, includes two jumps to the maternal line, while the House of Beor seems to indicate the entire people of Beor. Then there's Gildor Inglorion, "of the golden House of Finrod", who isn't even related to Finarfin. That last in particular, along with things like the House of the Wing in Gondolin, makes me think we can't be confident "House of Ingwe" didn't just mean "people who lived in Ingwe's house".

hS