Thread: Galadriel's Ban
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #26
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
( . . . ) Part of the problem here is dating the typescript referenced here. Tolkien did not have much of the LR typed by someone else, nor usually close to the time of writing (except for Book IV, so that CT could be sent a copy). Most chapters remained in manuscript fair copy until he typed the whole thing himself between late 1948 and late 1949- and then a second time in 1952-55.
Thanks for this.

Given what you say here, I could be off in my opinion that the Melian idea ["addition"] pre-dates the "over the mountains" version -- but if it post dates this version, then it seems I could all the more (at least) argue that Galadriel's songs don't necessarily go with the Melian idea.

Of course, neither scenario [simply being an Exile -- or a companion with Melian] necessarily means Galadriel has been banned, but as I say, I certainly agree with you that both songs suggest it.

It does seem a bit odd to me if we were dealing with a post-publication idea, imagining that JRRT would go back to the drafts to add this, but it's not impossible I guess!
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote