View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #27
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a life-long reader of LotR, it has always been my opinion that Boromir is one of the most tragic figures in literature. This is a good and noble man capable of great deeds and small kindnesses. It was his fate to succumb to the power of the Ring but only because he did not possess the wisdom needed to resist the powerful temptation.

I think anyone who doesn't like this character (or even out-right hates him) feels that way only because he reminds them of themselves. Who is Boromir in this Fellowship if not us? We see the reflection of what would most likely be our own destiny if we ever found ourselves in a similar position.

Everyone looks for themselves in a story and chooses a character they most closely identify with...are we Frodo? No - who among us has the purity of heart and iron will required to attempt such a Quest? Are we Sam? No - I'd be surprised if anyone had ever even met someone of his like; someone willing to push someone to their doom because it was what they wished. Wouldn't we all have tried to stop Frodo at some point? We're certainly not the Hobbits, nor Gimli or Legolas (although being Legolas would totally rock). And Aragorn's lineage, goals and purpose are much too lofty for any of us to aspire to.

No, I think we're all Boromir - understanding the dangers all around us but being able to use only those tools which we possess to fight them. Seeing our own weaknesses reflected back at us in the character of Boromir, it's no wonder some of us don't like him.

In Boromir's case, his tools were not wisdom or insight, it was simply strength of body and will - and that strength had served him and his people well for years so why would he doubt it now? Instead, naturally, he would doubt the wisdom of those who lived in a different world from his and could not possibly understand what it was that he and his people were facing. Who cares about the future and loftier purposes? Boromir was dealing with the here and now and witnessing the decline and possible extinction of the city and people he loved. It would have been less noble of him NOT to try everything in his power to save them.

Boromir tried (even while attempting to take the Ring) to do the RIGHT THING as he understood it up until the end. He just had a different understanding of what the right thing was. And when he finally recognized the power that the Ring had wielded over him, he immediately repented. I think Boromir's epitaph could very well be, "I did not understand."
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote