View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #490
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I have been up to things.
Excellent.

Quote:
Firstly, I finally dragged myself past those inexplicably and unexpectedly painful opening stanzas, which I will most likely redo anyways because they are an odd mishmash of styles and sound awful. I made it to Finrod, where the song sounds significantly better. ^.^ Here is.
Hurrah! I think it sounds perfectly good. I've done a quick recording, in which Beren sounds more like Finrod and Finrod drifts towards being a Son of Feanor, but that's fine. That final 'freeeeeedooooom' broke my throat though. ^_~

Quote:
Secondly, I am making headway on the translation, I am nearly halfway through Part 1, and made it to the first rendition of Wilwarin. I am increasingly aware though that my method of side-by-side type-on-the-right-as-I-read-on-the-left is perhaps good for quantity but not quality, and certainly not for the sentence structure. But I figured, as it will need a read-over anyways before going places, I will fix it all when I read it again a second time. I don't have the patience to go through the same chapter I just read recently (besides, this whole thing is just an unconscious excuse for another re-read, who am I kidding...).
I snuck in and dropped some more comments; mostly on ties to and breaks from the canon, rather than nitpicking word-use. There was one word that threw me totally - I think it was dirgal or dirgol, and I have no idea what it's meant to be except from context.

Quote:
Thirdly, I came across an Elf calling another Elf "knyaz", proving that my memory is absolutely no good. I'm still sticking to the translation scheme from before, given the ambiguity of certain titles, and because I think that Men should have their own thing going on.
I mean... the word means "prince" in the old sense, as in "Prince of Gwynedd", "Prince of Powys", "Princes of the Noldor". The drift in the modern sense of that word leaves the concept without a precise word, so yeah, it's going to fracture the translation a bit. But that's a translator's job - remember "dissolved in the bitterness of bread" or whatever Amarie went on about?

Quote:
And finally, when looking up some terminology, I came across a forum where they tried to translate the book into English before it was even properly published, back in 2002... I did not see a full translation, but they had a couple passages. I remember that when I was looking for this book in different online formats last summer, I came across a few scattered chapters in English, but I didn't love the translation, and besides, it was like 4 unconnected chapters. However, I can't find it now to figure out if it was the work of that forum. What I might steal from their efforts though is the title. They called it Beyond the Dawn, which echoes a certain Blind Guardian song that the author clearly knew and loved. This stuff is Internet Archaeology. It kinda baffles me that I'm picking up projects that started twenty years ago... Like, yes I was born then, but I'm not sure if I even started first grade when the Zong and the Dawn were made!
Having been involved in a Silmarillion Film project that included a few people from the Downs back around '04, the Zong gives me very much the same 'picking up ancient projects' feel, believe me. ^_~ That is a cool title.

Quote:
As a humorous aside, I am starting to think I should be running a list of autocorrect bloopers. Firstly, Google Docs doesn't seem to like archaic sentence structure, or archaic words in general, and keeps trying to correct it to something modern that makes no sense in context. But these are just suggestions, it doesn't do anything. But every now and again I go back a couple sentences and see that what was supposed to be "rohir" has been autocorrected to "roger", or things like that... It has no patience with Elvish.
What, you don't remember Elroger Half-even, son of the lord of Milagros/Ravendeal?

(That's slightly unfair to autocorrect: it does know "dell", though I suspect it thinks I'm talking about computers.)

hS