View Single Post
Old 06-04-2001, 03:10 PM   #18
Juriella

Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
lothlorien. . .

it is easy for me to imagine what lothlorien must have looked like. In early autumn, when the leaves start to turn - most especially after a light rain - I walk in the woods near my father's home. The golden canopy of maple trees, coupled with their dark gray bark, the carpet of freshly-fallen leaves, not yet dried and brown but still soft, their gold color enhanced by the wet ground, the crisp, clean air - all this reminds me of Lothlorien. Tolkien must have had the maple tree in mind when he described the mellorn. In the quiet of my father's woods, I can picture myself in his world, and I half expect to see the elves peering down at me from the golden treetops. This effect doesn't last long - the trees soon drop their leaves altogether, and the ones on the ground soon turn brown and dry up. Kind of like the way Lorien itself must've disappeared. But it's inspiring for a while - it lifts the spirit, and isn't that what Lothlorien is supposed to do anyway?

</p>