View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #3315
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Now Urwen's posts about Sam and Elanor did give me an idea about the last lines: Elanor, Sam's daughter, was followed by a bunch more children with no shortage of namesakes. Though "hilldweller strong" reminds me more of Samwise the Strong himself. And that makes me think of the Shire. Or - hang on, no, it's BAG-END!

1. Not sure. Don't know what connection Bungo had with water. Unless it's just a reference to the Water?
2. Held by Bilbo who came back to the great disappointment of his relatives.
3. Left by Frodo seeking Mount Doom.
4. Claimed by the notorious Mrs. SB!
5. Ruffians? SBs? Saruman and Wormtongue? Ruffians would be my bet.
6. Sam? Whose place, unlike Frodo's, is in the Shire?
7-8: not sure of the exact people, but daughter might be Elanor and the followers either her siblings or her children. Probably siblings.

Well, how's that?
Spot on! Let's take a look:

1. Ummm... I got my 'parents of masters of Bag-End' muddled up and wound up referencing Drogo in place of Bungo, didn't I? Oops!
2-4. Exactly.
5. After Lobelia was arrested, Bag-End was held in succession by Lotho, and Saruman & Wormtongue.
6. Sam indeed.
7&8. Per the Gateway, Elanor (the daughter) moved away, so Bag-End passed to Frodo Gardner (namesake of Frodo Baggins). He presumably passed it to his son Holfast ('hole-dweller', and he to his son Harding ('strong one') of the Hill. Harding's death in S.R 1606 is the latest non-New Shadow event recorded by Tolkien.

Over to you, and sorry for mixing up line 1! I really need to check these things...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote