Thread: Ulmo
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #17
Angry Hill Troll
Wight

Angry Hill Troll has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" in the Unfinished Tales Ulmo says the following to Tuor regarding his role in the affairs of Middle-earth and his relationship to the other Valar
Quote:
...in the armour of Fate (as the Children of Earth name it) there is ever a rift, and in the walls of Doom a breach, until the full-making, which ye call the End. So it shall be while I endure, a secret voice that gainsayeth, and a light where darkness was decreed. Therefore, though in the days of this darkness I seem to oppose the will of my brethren, the Lords of the West, that is my part among them, to which I was appointed ere the making of the World.
As others have observed, Manwë and Ulmo collaborate on most matters. Who is the greatest between them? Well, Manwë in the sense that he is concerned with the most "noble" subject matter (physically represented by his being in charge of the air) and has the most insight into the will of Eru. However, he is limited in being unable to see through Melkor's deceits, and Tolkien states that
Quote:
he has become engrossed (partly out of sheer fear of Melkor, partly out of desire to control him) in amendment, healing, re-ordering - even 'keeping the status quo' - to the loss of all creative power and even to weakness in dealing with difficult and perilous situations.

Morgoth's Ring, Myths transformed
Also Manwë doesn't get out much these days. So there has to be some intermediary to give helpful advice, guidance, etc. to people who aren't able to go to the mountain themselves. Ulmo plays this role at certain times, as does Gandalf.

More generally though, it seems to me that Tolkien presents all the Valar (including Melkor) as being distinct but indespensable parts needed to fulfill Eru's design for the world. In looking at it this way, it's kind of like asking "which of the Valar is more essential?" when they are all necessary. Ulmo's words to Tuor underscore this.

Another example (?) of Ulmo's influence is perhaps the finding of the Ring by Déagol. Note that the Ring was lost in a river, and that very close to the time the Ring was actually found, if not before, both Saruman and Sauron were looking for it in the same location. But fortuitously it ended up in the hands of the one race of creatures who could keep it safe without attracting anyone's attention.

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Angry Hill Troll ]

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Angry Hill Troll ]
Angry Hill Troll is offline   Reply With Quote